সোমবার, ২৮ ডিসেম্বর, ২০০৯

It was an opportunity for me to put a hand up: Dilshan

CHITTAGONG: Sri Lankan batsman Tilekaratne Dilshan, who made 162 in the Sri Lankan innings of 371 for 6 on day one of the second Test of the Grameenphone Series and Bangladesh spinner Enamul haque Jr. spoke to the media after close of play.

TILEKARATNE DILSHAN

On his sixth Test hundred that rescued Sri Lanka from potential trouble at 4 for 75
It was an opportunity for someone to put a hand up and I am happy to have contributed.

Regarding the day one pitch
The wicket is very good. It is a good Test wicket but maybe a bit on the slower side.

Whether his innings was a present for skipper Mahela Jayawardene who made his 100th Test appearance
Every game is important for a Test cricketer. It was also my 50th Test match and very important for me also.

On Imrul Kayes dropping a sitter at mid on when he was on 78
That’s part of the game. It gives you an opportunity to capitalize and if you get a let off you should then try and make a big score.

Whether he expects Muttiah Muralitharan and Ajanta Mendis to dominate on this track
I think it will turn for those two. The bounce could be a bit uneven later on and they (Bangladesh batsmen) haven’t played Ajanta (Mendis) much. So I hope both bowlers will do well here.

If the unevenness of the pitch also help paceman Dilhara Fernando when Sri Lanka field
Dilhara is quick and can be difficult to face because the pitch could be a up and down.

On the secrets of his exceptional fielding
I work extra hours on fielding and do different drills to improve. I had worked with Trevor Penny for three years and we did a lot of things before the World Cup and now I am working with the current coaches. I do different things on fielding individually.

Whether good fielders are natural
I don’t think so. If you work hard only then you can deliver. Otherwise it doesn’t get easy.

ENAMUL HAQUE JR.

How it felt to bowl at home after a long gap
It has been almost a year since I last bowled at home. I have to admit that there was a tinge of nerves initially and didn’t give the ball flight often enough. I’m confident that things will be okay tomorrow.

How the day was
It could have been a lot better if we hadn’t dropped three catches and missed a stumping chance. Still I think we are in it. The situation I should say is 50-50 after day one and if we can bowl them out early tomorrow and bat well then we should be back in the game. We just need a big effort from the batsmen.

On the Murali and Mendis threat
The pitch will be conducive to spinners as there are cracks developing already. But I expect the wicket to play well on day two also and then start deteriorating. That’s why it is important for us to get the remaining wickets early and then make best use of the batting conditions. If we can have them batting in the second innings then there will be a lot of assistance for spinners.

Whether it was a familiar thing for him to see Bangladesh to throw advantage away on day one of a Test due to fielding lapses
I don’t remember that happening during the last two-three years. On the contrary I think our fielding has improved a lot. Today was one of those days and there are days when we take difficult catches and miss easy ones. I am sure that if you give Imrul ten such catches he’d take each and every one of those. The misses today were just accidents.

On the way Dilshan attacked the Bangladesh bowlers after lunch
He plays that way against every team. He is very positive and plays attackingly. We also bowled poorly after lunch and tea.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন