In December 1978 the Ministry of Youth Sports was created under a special gazette notification. In 1982, after the promulgation of the Martial Law, the Ministry of Youth & Sports was abolished and in its place the youth development Division was created under the Ministry of Labor and Manpower. in 1984 the component of Sports of the Ministry of Sports and Culture and the component of Youth Development Division the Ministry of Labor and Manpower were taken together to create a separate Ministry in the name of the Ministry of Youth and Sports (under its Schedule no. 1 ).
The activities of this Ministry are run by the following attached Departments and Statutory Bodies:
A. Attached Departments:
Directorate of Youth Development
Directorate of Sports
B. Statutory Bodies:
National Sports Council (NSC)
Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protisthan (BKSP)
According to the Rules of Business (under its schedule no1) for various Ministries/Divisions, the following works were allocated to the Ministry of Youth and Sports:
01. All matters relating to youths -their welfare, training and prospects.
02. Organization and mobilization of the youths for voluntary Participation in the development activities of the country.
03. Coordination of youth services, liaison with concerned Ministries/Division.
04. Administration of grants-in-aid under specific projects.
05. Youth Awards.
06. Programs to encourage a sense of adventure, responsibility, confidence and achievement in youths.
07. Research and study on youths and youth development activities.
08. Promoting activities for creating employment of opportunities lies for the unemployed youths.
09. Promotion and development of games and sports.
10. National Sports Awards.
11. Aid from foreign and international bodies in the field of sports.
12. Grants-in-aid to sports organizations.
13. International organizations and other international programs in the fields of sports.
14. Price of performance: merit awards in sports.
15. Organization and participation in national and international games and athletics.
16. Development publication in the field of sports.
17. National bodies relating to sports.
18. Exchange of sports team with foreign countries.
19. Pension to sportsmen.
20. Secretariat administration including financial matters.
21 Administration and control subordinate offices organizations under this ministry.
22. Liaison with international organizations and matters relating to treaties and agreements with other countries rind would bodies relating to subjects allotted to this Ministry.
23. All laws on subjects allotted to this Ministry.
24. Inquiries and statistics on any of the subjects allotted to the Ministry.
25. Fees in respect of any of the subjects allotted to this Ministry except fees taken in courts.